Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Get the benefits you deserve
LaPorte Law Firm understands that health problems causing an inability to work, and the associated financial hardships can bring anyone down physically and mentally. We believe that every individual deserves a helping hand, which is why we offer representation services for the SSI application and appeals process.
Do I qualify for SSI benefits?
SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is available to US citizens who suffer from a qualifying medical impairment causing disability from full-time work. However, unlike SSDI, SSI is limited to disabled people with limited income and resources; this means the value of your assets must be less than $2,000 if you are single or less than $3,000 if you are married. Note that the value of your home and your vehicle you own doesn’t count against the resource limit.
We help you with your SSI application by:
- Completing forms and documents with you, preferably in a face-to-face meeting
- Discussing with you the standard of disability applicable to your particular claim
- Requesting the necessary medical evidence from your treating doctors
- Gathering, interpreting and providing information to help prove your eligibility
If your SSI application has been denied, LaPorte Law Firm is at the ready to help you with the appeals process which includes reconsideration, Administrative Law Judge hearing, Appeals Council review and federal court litigation.
We help you with SSI appeals process by:
- Filing requests for reconsideration; as well as requests for benefit continuation
- Filing required forms requesting a hearing with an administrative law judge
- Requesting an Appeals Council review
- Obtaining and submitting new medical evidence to help with the approval process
- Filing a civil action with the U.S. District Court.